Saturday, July 4, 2009

Ah, Independence Day. Do we really know what that means? I realized the other day, I had no idea what FREEDOM really was until I found myself captive, in bondage. Dramatic, maybe, but seriously. Never before have I lived so far outside any real system of authority. I'm here in France and the 'law' that I'm under is not one of authority. It's not of the country of France. It's not of any legal government. It's a piece of paper that continually changes, making my ability to stick to it that much more difficult. Never before have I felt so restricted, so enslaved, so confined. I never knew the beauty and power of the law.

The Word says, "The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple." Psalm 19:7. *sigh* Lately I've been thinking of how the law was made for our benefit. We are children of God and just as children need boundaries... so do we! Those boundaries give us freedom, they allow us to live fully without being overcome by anxiety and fear. They protect us just as our parents protected us by giving providing boundaries.

This one is a little farther off topic, but there is a vital connection somewhere. Here on earth we are called to follow the law of whatever government is in authority of us. It is generally pretty good, but still flawed. God has provided a perfect law and it's been written on each and every one of our hearts. He loves us like crazy and wants us to live deep, meaningful, amazing lives. Sometimes that means times will be difficult and hard, but through those times He is ever so faithful. Through the times of despair and hurt and confusion God stretches us and teaches us. He builds our character. (Most of this is me preaching to myself...) He provides opportunities for us to learn to become more like Jesus.

I've been listening to Air1 for encouragement and to make me feel a little closer to home. I was listening this morning and three of the songs were so real to my life right now. Jaymes Reunion has a song called, "Fine": You never really loved until you watch it fall apart And you never really lived until you felt like you can die And you never really stood until the weight has pushed you over Your pickin up the pieces just to find Your doin just fine... I'm trying my darndest to make the best of the situation I've been put in and to seek God with the dilemmas I find myself in. I'm learning to appreciate so many things I had never really thought about before.

Next song is by the wonderful band, Kutless. It's called, "To Know That You're Alive". It may sound kind of dark and dim... but it's a great song and it just struck a chord within my heart this morning. I know your pain is for a reason You need to feel just to know that You're alive. I am alive.

The third song is called "By Your Side" by Tenth Avenue North. The first wonderful thing about this song is that it takes me back to Des Moines when I was living with Haley and Hannah. :) Haley's dad really liked this song and so she was learning to play it on her guitar. It's now my promise from God. "I love you, I want you to know. I love you I'll never let you go. I'll be by your side where ever you fall in the dead of night whenever you call please don't find these hands that are holdling you.

If you're reading this today, you're probably pretty far away, phisically from me... I just want you to know that I miss you right now and really, truly want to give you a great big hug! :)


"If you abide in my word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31, 32. Truth. Truth is concrete. Solid. Unchanging. Truth is absolute.


No comments:

Post a Comment