Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Coco Loco

As I sit here in in my room of 62 degrees, the anticipation of my roommate(the heat-Nazi)'s return builds and I can't help but reminisce a year ago, gearing up to unwind on the warm, sandy beaches of Isla Mujeres

Ah, life is good there. It seems that physically distancing myself really enables me to let my cares go.


I was always warm. My skin was a gorgeous shade of gold. Cabana boys constantly offered cold beverages to keep us hydrated! Ah, such a nice time.


Hmm.. I have to wonder if a little fiesta accompanied con mis amigos y uno (o muchos) coco locos would ail this chill and ache for the warmth of Mexico?!


I'm thinking once mis amigos (yes, the heat-Nazi... and her sister,) return, we shall attempt to conquer the chill from our very own kitchen!! 



Coco Locos, welcome to Iowa!! :)


Coco Loco



Ingredients:

2 oz silver tequila
1 oz light rum
1 oz gin
2 oz pineapple juice
1 tsp simple syrup
3/4 oz fresh lime juice
1 fresh coconut 


Create:

Saw off the top of the coconut and pour the coconut water into a glass. Add a cup of ice to the coconut and pour in all other ingredients (including the coconut water). Squeeze the juice of your lime. Stir well. Add a straw and pretty paper umbrella. Serve and enjoy! 


(You can also skip pouring out the coco milk/water and adding the ice and just add all the ingredients and chill for a bit by sticking it out in the snow... like we did... probably what we'll be doing since it's already plenty chilly here today!)



Dont' forget to include the happiest face you can make from the fruit you have on hand! (That was always my favorite part.)




What I'm about to share may seem to come across as contradictory to what I just shared at the beginning of this post, to some it may be, but for me, it was an excellent accompaniment to the goal of unwinding from the stress I allow myself to carry around in my day-to-day life and the escape from all of that this trip was intended to be.

While in Isla Mujeres, my friend Glenda and I attended this beautiful haven by the beach housing yogis to guide us in yoga. Our instructor both sessions was a man named Lal. He was a gorgeous old man from India. He shared his life story with us how he remembered as a young boy spending time in the temples while his mother weaved. He came to America where he started a family and became a big-deal business man in New York. He made a good living and had a large family. When one of his daughters became ill and died, he realized none of what he had created and was living for was worth the lack of peace and contentment. He was so unsatisfied chasing his desires that he dropped it all. He left for a period of time and found himself led to Mexico where he now teaches others how to be present and find peace. I tell you what, I could have sat and picked his brain for hours. 

Lal is one of those people you instantly relax around. You trust what you say is safe and that he genuinely cares for you and your well-being. Speaking with him reminded me that that is something I'd like people to pick up from a conversation with me. 

There was more. :) The physical practice was pretty incredible too. There are different poses I hadn't been able to reach before because I hadn't allowed myself to fully relax (constant struggle for this girl!) The class had just three students, so Lal was able to really focus and assist us to improve what we specifically were lacking in. Glenda had broken one of her wrists a few years back and he provided adjustments for her to participate without hurting herself. The next day, she said she could tell she had worked it, possibly even strained it, but that it felt stronger, which she hadn't had since the break.

At some point, I'll figure out how to incorporate photos of these sorts of practices so that you have a visual to help you try the pose for yourself. 

Until then, I encourage  you to check out the website for Na Balam and daydream of how beautiful it would be if you were in the open hut learning from Lal. :) 


 Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment